Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Father’s Day

Growing up, my brother and I never celebrated Father’s Day. Not because we don’t believe in it but because my father never felt it necessary (according to him it has fascist roots and is capitalistic). I’m sure we gave him some art projects here and there created in class when we were younger, planned by our teachers. But as a family, we never went out of our way to make a celebration out of Father’s Day.

As my dad says, “Every day is Father’s Day.” I agree with that statement! As children, we have a responsibility to say thank you and be appreciative of what our parents have done. Oftentimes, we fall short because we lose sight of the big picture. Since becoming a teacher in NYC, I have also noticed that some children don’t have parents worth thanking.

Although I did not celebrate Father’s Day this year, the day itself definitely brought on a different meaning for me. I’ve always appreciated my father, but my perspective on our relationship has majorly altered since his cancer diagnosis.

Simply put, my father is a wonderful human being. He loves hard and sets very high standards. When growing up, this was difficult for me to handle. Mostly because I am very much the same way. Him and I would argue all the time and it took me leaving home for college and then for the Peace Corps to let my heart grow fonder as the distance grew longer. My dad is a pusher but I give him so much credit now because he helped me grow into the strong person I am today.

My father is worth celebrating every day, and it was beautiful and overwhelming to see how many others have been feeling the same since the news broke of his cancer. Living in NYC, therefore away from home, is challenging because I am removed from this journey. Knowing that he has people in his corner to support him gives me comfort. Love heals and that is what you are all giving him, healing. It also gives me comfort to know that Simon and Natasha are not alone – cancer has become part of their daily routine in a way that it hasn’t for me. They are in the thick of it, along with my father.

My father is worth celebrating every day not because he now has cancer but because, simply put, he is a wonderful human being. I give thanks that I get to call him papa and look forward to many more days of celebrating him.
Dad using the electric razor that Simon bought him. I had the pleasure of giving him
a nice "clean" cut in the back, and Natasha was appreciative of the final results.
It's a team effort! 

7 comments:

  1. C'est une belle déclaration d'amour. Elle aura son efficacité sur la maladie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est une belle déclaration d'amour. Elle aura son efficacité sur la maladie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Sarah. Thanks for sharing it with us. And I agree, your dad is absolutely a wonderful human being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was wonderful to read! Your dad did a great job with you and Simon. We are all in his corner right now, along with you, Simon and Natasha.

    ReplyDelete

Signs, Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs.....

I am a superstitious person.  I also believe in signs.  I'm not an overly religious person but I like to think that I have some spiritua...